It is recommended to choose a mountain bike:
1. There are countless uphill and downhill slopes on the route. Hence, you’d better choose a mountain bike that features good brake function. It is recommended to choose a mountain bike with V brakes.The long distance downhill can make the discs on a disc-brake bike heat up and thus reduce the braking effect.
2. Given the long distance and unpredictable troubles, you need to carry a large amount of luggage and equipment. Therefore, you can ask the bike dealer to install a goods rack, bottle holder, phone holder and anything like that. And the material shall be aluminum, which is lighter than steel frame and is more labor-saving.
3. The road conditions are not bad, with mostly passing highways. But it’s quite difficult to climb over a dozen mountains with an altitude of more than 4,000 meters. You’d better choose bicycles with prices ranging 800-2000 yuan. You don’t need to choose bikes with extremely high prices.The accessories of high-end bikes are not easy to find on such depopulated areas.
4. Most of the cyclists return back by plane or by train. Therefore, you can choose a bicycle that can be sold in Lhasa at a relatively low price or that is easy to disassemble and easy to be delivered by express.
The recommended models:
1. Zombike Windspeed Longrider
It is a classic bike for long-distance cycling, featuring comfortable steel frame and user-friendly accessories. It is not a high-end product. But the company boasts excellent manufacturers, which can guarantee the quality of accessories. The price of the new bicycle is around 3,000 yuan. The only drawback is that the handlebars are too low, making you easily exhausted after long time of cycling.
2.GIANT XTC 820
This can be said the best bicycle you can buy at the price of no more than 4,000 yuan. It features 27.5+ wheel diameter, cool and beautiful painting design, and stable performance. It’s about 3,700 yuan. The disadvantage is its weight, making climbing more difficult.
3.UCC Demante 3.0
It’s very cost-effective, with 30-speed shifting configuration, hydraulic disc brakes, pneumatic shock absorbers, integrated wheel sets. The perfect configuration confers premium riding experience on cyclists. The price is about 3,500 yuan. The disadvantage is that the brand is not that well-known and its inventory is not high. 4.MERIDA Challenger 300
It is very suitable for the newbies. The 30-speed shifting system delivers a smooth and precise shifting experience, and the sturdy frame body frees you from worries on the highland cycling. Comfortable hydraulic shock absorbers and the smooth bearing wheels make your journey more comfortable. The price is around 3,000 yuan. The drawback is also the heavy weight.
5.XDS Travelling bike
It is among the cheapest travelling bikes. It boasts the high cost performance and the most comfort. It’s very suitable for long-distance cycling. The disadvantage is that the weight. The price is around 1,300 yuan.
It stands out among all the GIANT bikes by virtue of its beautiful appearance and the 27-speed disc brake. It is very cost-effective with the price only being about 2,500 yuan. It is also too heavy.
7.MERIDA DUKE 650
It features high cost performance, reliable quality and durable accessories. It is equipped with the 27-speed disc brake and hydraulic shock absorbers. The price is around 2,500 yuan.
8. UCC Blade
This new UCC model features reliable quality, affordable price and high cost performance. It costs only 1,200 yuan. Its major target customers are the entry-level cyclists. It is mainly in competition with the Giant ATX 660. The shock absorber and braking system have been upgraded. The only drawback is that it is not popular in the second-hand market.
This is the number one choice for students. It is affordable, especially in second-hand market. You can cost only about 300 yuan to buy it. The disadvantage is that its plastic V brake is not durable. It is recommended to prepare the brake pads in advance.
10.Giant ATX660 (Giant 660)
It is also a perfect choice for newbies and students.The price of a new bike is about 1,300 yuan. After arriving in Chengdu, you can go to the local second-hand bicycle market to buy a second-hand 660 at the price of only 300-500 yuan. The disadvantage is that it is a bit bulky and not durable enough.
Please choose the right bicycle according to your own budget and needs. Wish you have a nice and safe journey.
How many days does it take to cycle from Chengdu to Lhasa?
The Sichuan-Tibet South Route via G 318 National Highway passes the following places: Chengdu- Ya'an- Luding- Kangding- Xinduqiao- Yajiang- Litang- Batang- Mangkang- Zuogong- Bangda- Basu- Bomi- Nyingchi- Lhasa. The whole journey is 2157 kilometers, passing more than 20 towns; crossing over 14 mountains, including 9 with altitude more than 4000 meters; crossing through 10 rivers.It takes about 20 days cycling to Lhasa.