Beijing as the capital city of mainland China, it has always been the top destination for tourists and business people from all over the world. There are also many tourists from Beijing to Lhasa. The Beijing to Lhasa train – No. Z21 leaves every day for 40 hours and 30 minutes. The sleeper compartment on the train is always full of passengers, some hold DV, some with cell phone, and more with an SLR. With the beautiful scenery along the way, you shall never feel boring. When you reached in Xining, where is the starting point of Qinghai – Tibet railway, from here, and from here on, every place that you pass by is a fascinated world.
The overview of Beijing – Lhasa train schedule:
Stations Z21 Will Pass by:
How do foreign tourists buy train tickets:
Ways to buy ticket (generally, there are two ways of buy ticket in mainland China):
To buy your own tickets at the station, with your valid certifications, but the defect of this way is: biased to provide valid certifications, you have to provide Tibet Travel Permit. For the Tibet Travel Permit, usually can be applied within 10 days in advance, and the train ticket in mainland China is usually going on sale one month (30 days) prior to departures. By the time you get the Tibet Travel Permit, most likely the ticket is sold out already.
To purchase on the railway station official website: 12306.cn, is a good choice for those who is outside mainland China. But the defect is, it is registered under the real name system, and after registration the system will investigate, and can purchase online only if you had one experience of taking the train with your ID card. If you have a someone buy tickets for you, you will need to provide them with your exact name and passport number (as with plane tickets). They will also need a copy of your passport if you wish to have the tickets delivered to you. If tickets are brought on-line and you do not wish them to deliver, you are given a confirmation number which you need to bring along with your passport at the railway station to pick up the paper ticket. You can do so just before your departure.
Requested certifications when purchasing the ticket from Beijing to Lhasa:
Foreign tourists, Taiwanese and overseas Chinese:
(1) According to The real name system for buying train tickets, for those who would like to purchase the train ticket in mainland China, have to provide valid certificates such as: ID card, passport, etc.. The The passenger's name should be consistent with the document used.
(2) Due to the particularity of Tibet train, all the passengers have to provide Tibet Travel Permit to enter Tibet.
Hongkong and Macau passenger:
(1) For Hongkong and Macau passengers have to hold an ID card, and China SAR passport.
(2) Now has cancelled the regulation of Hongkong and Macau passengers must provide “Tibet Travel Permit”. Only need to provide “Home Return Certificate (for Compatriots from Hongkong and Macau) (the period of validity is 10 years since 1998) or “Hongkong-Macau laissez-passer”.
3. Notes on Taking Train to Tibet from Beijing:
☆ For the Tibet train, you have to provide the second Tibet Travel Permit, and the size shall keep the same as the original file, with A4 format with 2 pages. During the ride, the conductor would check your Tibet Travel Permit erratically, please take good care of your Tibet Travel Permit, to avoid unnecessary trouble.
☆ Luggage transportation: with a valid train ticket, the passenger may transport one luggage during the board period. The disabled have no limitations on luggage. The limit of each luggage is 50KG. The size should be smaller than luggage barrow. For items involving state restrictions on transport, please provide the relevant department's transport certificate at the time of delivery. Valuables such as money, securities, precious cultural relics, gold, silver and jewelry, and archival materials, as well as articles prohibited and restricted by the state, and dangerous articles shall not be carried in luggage.
☆ The Tibetan plateau is located in an area of low oxygen, plateau travel has high demand for the tourists, and they may more or less accord altitude sickness, recommend having a thorough medical check-up before travel, and taking some anti-altitude drugs under the doctor’s advice, or prepare the medicine for the needs.
☆ Some of the train have to transit via Xining station, all the passengers have to take off and transit to another train, please cooperate the organization and guidance from the staffs.
☆ While running between Golmud to Lhasa, the train would provide a diffuse type of oxygen supply and independence oxygen service, if you have any further requirements, please do check with the train staffs. During the oxygen supplying, smoking is forbidden, the smokers have to notice that.
☆ Please keep stay and take good care of your own belongings. During the station, dwelling time, please be aware of temperature difference between inside and outside the train, be careful to catch the flue.
☆ Regarding carrying on the train, there are chargers in the soft sleeper compartment, under the outside the corridor seats also have chargers, and the both sides of the washing station also can charge. But sometimes the charger may break, please bring your own power bank and make sure it is fully charged.
The usual dining on the train tastes flat, costs about RMB 30.00, also have steamed bun and porridges. If you got too many luggages, no worry, there are simple meals and instant noodles for purchase. You also may prepare some solid food, or carried separately with several friends. After all, it’s not easy to spend about two days and two nights’ train.
4. What to Pack if taking the train from Beijing to Lhasa:
1. Certifications: ID card (for mainland China tourists), Tibet Travel Permit (foreign tourists, Taiwan tourist and overseas Chinese), Hongkong – Macau laissez – passer (Hongkong people and Macanese), valid passport (those who holds passport), deposit card (China’s biggest banks).
2. Anti-altitude medicines: although take the Tibet train may slowly adjust the altitude, but when pass by Tanggula Ranges (while altitude is above 5000 M), the altitude sickness would be serious, suggest to take Gaoyuanan or Gaoyuankang capsule, besides orally take Rhodiola rosea in advance. Moreover, you may take some cold medication, cough medicine, Wei Chang A, antidiarrheals, anti-inflammatory, band-aid, painkillers, etc.
3. For clothing, you’d better wear fleece jackets and winter jacket, for the great difference in temperature at plateau area, you may experience four seasons within ten days, such kind of clothing may good at wind and rain protection and keeping warm, other clothing: thin coat, T-shirt, underwears, socks, if you have plan for hiking, you may take a pair of outdoor hiking shoes. For washing bag, you may prepare washing products (towels, facial cleanser, soap, shaver, etc.),
4. Cell phone charger, USB cable, power bank, camera, matching battery, charger, flashcards, if you wish to shoot the stars, may bring the torch, notebook and pens.
5. Bring the vacuum cup, for you may get warm water on the train, prepare some more fruits such as apples, mandarin orange. Apple removes heat, eat properly may adjust human acid balance; mandarin orange would provide vitamin C for a day. Also, please bring some chocolate, it may strengthen your physical power.
6. Daily supplies: sleeping bag, towel (quick drying- type), face towel, wet-paper, sun hat, sun glasses, sun cream etc. sun-protct productions, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, facial cleanser, skin care productions, facial masks, cosmetic with hydration type), sun-protction lip-stick, toothbrush and toothpaste, washing powder (easier to carry compare with liquid detergent), small back-pack, rain hood, whisel, convenient hook, disposable plastic wrap (may take wet clothes or tower), seperate bags (pack the stuffs accordingly, and convenient to take), water-proof bag (functional product), vacuum cup, camping cup, chopsticks and forks (of hygiene reason), hair dryer, fully charged power bank.
5. Beijing West Railway Station Traffic Guide:
The starting station from Beijing to Lhasa is the Beijing West Railway Station, located at No. 118, Lianhuachi North Road, Fengtai District, Beijing. Passengers may take metro line, buses, taxi, to get to the North Railway station, very convenient. Or, if there are many members in a team, may arrange tours bus via our travel agency.
Other ways to get Tibet from Beijing (It takes 40 hours from Beijing to Lhasa, if you feel the journey is too long, may consider fly from Beijing to Xining first, and then take the train from Xining to Tibet). There are many flights from Beijing to Xining, approximately 2.5 hours can get to Xining. The famous attractions of Xining are: Qinghai Lake, Kumbum Monastery, Chaka Salt Lake. May have a half-day or one day tour, and then take the train ahead for Lhasa.
1. Booking a Tibet Tour from a reliable local travel agency.
2. Book train tickets from Beijing to Lhasa. It's rather difficult to book Beijing-Lhasa train ticket, especially soft sleeper. You are suggested to book the train to Tibet from Beijing through the travel agency like Tibet Odyssey Tours. We never failed our customers in reserving train tickets from Beijing to Tibet. While booking the train ticket, you have to confirm it at least 30 days in advance.
3. Receive your Tibet permit and Beijing-Lhasa train ticket from our local stuff at Beijing and then board the train to Tibet from Beijing at Beijing West Train Station.