Now Austrians can travel to Tibet by plane or train with Tibet Travel Permit and other related documents applied by the travel agency.
Here, we would introduce you what documents are needed for you to visit major tourist cities in Tibet.
1. Austrian tourists who only visit Lhasa, Shigatse and Namtso only need Tibet Travel Permit. Normally it takes 7-8 working days to get the permit after getting applied.
2. To visit Nyingchi, Samye Gompa, Everest Base Camp, you not only need the Tibet Travel Permit, but the Alien’s Travel Permit also. The official fee is 50 RMB/person.
3. Military Pass/Permit is required when travelling to Bomi, Ranwu, Shannan (Samye Gompa, Changzhu Temple), Naidong, Gyaca County, Lang County, Ngari and other border areas. It usually takes 15-20 working days to get the permit issued. Hence, please confirm your tour at least on month in advance, if you are going to visit the above places.
4. Before visiting the Tholing Monastery Temple, the Guge Dynasty ruins and other important cultural relics, you need to get permissions from the local Cultural Relics Bureau.
5. Places not available for foreign tourists: Tibetan Tomb, Lhamo La-tso in Shannan, the Yarlung Zangbo River Grand Canyon in Nyingchi, Yadong, Cona Lake in Chamdo.