Mount Kailash as one of the ten mountains in China is located in Burang County, in the far southwestern Tibet. With an elevation of 6,656 meters, Mount Kailash meaning “mountain of God” in Tibetan, is one of the holiest spots in the world, worshiped as the sacred mountain by four influential religions, including Bön, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism. Like a tradition, every single year, a large number of believers from all over the world traveling far here to walk around Kailash, especially in the horse year, the birth year of Shakyamuni. Apart from its religious influence, the nature of the snow-capped mountaintop throughout the year with a peculiar brilliance under the sunshine and numerous lakes around including the holy lake of Lake Manasarovar also attracts thousands of ordinary visitors gathering here to explore the breathtaking beauty.
Useful Travel Tips
1. Visit Mount Kailash, tourists should not only prepare the Tibet Entry Permit, but also apply for Alien Trable Permit, which is issued by local Public Security Bureau (PSB) of Tibet. For Indians, the formalities may vary from other nationalities, so if you are Indians, please inform us in advance.
2. In order to adjust the high altitude of Mount Kailash and make a good preparation, you should arrange your Kailash trip in the later part of your Tibet tour and drink a lot of water as you can.
3. The best time to go is from April to October, especially in the months of April, May, September and October, with more sunny days, since there is a rainy period from June to August. Even though, you should keep an eye on the weather condition before you go and during your visit time.
4. Travel this particular place with basic accommodation and limited food supply, there are much more you should take, including warm clothes (even in summer time), tent, sleeping bag, a waterproof mattress, some high-calorie food, like chocolate, water, common medicines, etc. Camp stoves are permitted on the mountain.
5. There are Yaks and Horses available to transfer your stuff for a high cost in one-time or you can hire a porter with a maximum to carry paid per day.
6. Remember do not let your skin exposed outside or you'll easily get burnt by intensive solar irradiation. By the way, the nearby Lakes Manasarovar is another destination can be included in your trip with Mount Kailash.